|Container garden in the cockpit at the back of the boat|
|Davenport Family presenting the blanket (photo credit Sitka Sentinel, James Poulson)|
|Tale of a Whale in Silver Bay|
|A Sea Otter visits us at our first moorage|
|St Peter's By-The-Sea Episcopal Church|
|Gauge location before rebuild...|
|...gauge location after rebuild (the difference in readability is due to the location change not an artifact of photography).|
|Sunrise heading to our fishing lesson|
|Looking back towards Mt. Edgecumbe|
|Looking back towards town|
|Arrowhead Mountain (we think - we are still learning place names)|
|Clarice's Scallop shell|
Bear with Clarice's salmon
|Darryl and April's Island|
|Totem Park and Pioneer Home (our current moorage is a few steps from this park)|
|St Michael's Russian Orthodox Cathedral|
|"Spring" flowers in bloom|
|Young man very excited to have caught his first coho salmon|
|Russian Orthodox sanctuary (still a consecrated space) inside the Russian Bishop's House National Historical Site|
|Totem in Sitka National Park - a quiet place to walk about a mile away at the other end of town|
|Jarvis was totally confused (and not a happy dog) the first time he tried his new boots|
Ready to insert the new packing
- · Tourist shops are everywhere but many will be closing in the next week or so as the cruise ship season is coming to an end.
- · There are three local grocery stores – one of which is quite large. Veggies have obviously travelled a ways to get here but generally they are well stocked. Clarice notes that the prices are high even for staples like flour. There is a guy who brings up fruit from Washington but he will only be here once more this season.
- · Amazon 2 day shipping is usually more like 5 days and I keep being surprised at what they will and wont ship to an Alaska address such as beeswax products (SnoSeal and waxed flax stuffing), yes to a radio with a rechargeable battery but no to an extra capacity battery for the radio.
- · Clarice did find shoes that are comfortable with her previously broken foot but I expect to have to order mine.
- · Clothing (with the exception of rain gear) is pretty limited as far as choices.
- · 1 good marine hardware place but it looks like specialty parts need to be ordered out of Seattle
- · 2 good hardware stores
The rain has returned